University of California at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA. Graduate Certificate in Science Communication, August 2002.
Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA.
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, May 2001
Freelance Writer and Editor, Nov. 2003-present
- Wrote news and feature articles, an annual report, development materials, and educational material for middle and high school students.
- Edited academic journal articles, technical reports, grant proposals, dissertations, newsletters, annual reports, book reviews, essays, screenplays, novels, book proposals, resumes, and press releases.
- Academic clients have included individuals and divisions at fifteen colleges and universities, including Arizona State University, Georgia Tech, Harvey Mudd College, Stanford University, The Scripps Research Institute, the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of California, San Francisco.
- Other clients have included the Barrow Neurological Institute, Form and Content Media, Key Curriculum Press, Rosen Publishing, and the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Served as Production Manager for The Journal of Private Enterprise, a semi-annual academic journal, August 2007-present. Duties include proofreading, layout, interfacing with authors, and developing a style guide.
- Wrote six nonfiction books for middle and high school students and edited two anthologies for high school students, all for Rosen Publishing. Please see the Books page.
- Wrote a nonfiction trade book, Who's Afraid of Marie Curie? The Challenges Facing Women in Science and Technology, which was published by Seal Press in Fall 2007.
Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering at Arizona State University, Tempe,
AZ. Sept. 2002-Oct. 2003
Science Writer and Editor
- Primarily covered research in the school; wrote a bit about educational programs.
- Wrote press releases as well as news articles, features, profiles, and other text for various publications, both print and online. These included a research newsletter, an alumni magazine, a research magazine, an undergraduate viewbook, and an annual report.
- Edited Research 2003-2004, a collection of fact sheets about departments, centers and laboratories in the school.
- Pitched stories to the local media.
- Supervised student worker.
Stanford University Medical Center Office of Communication and Public
Affairs, Palo Alto, CA. June 2002-Sept. 2002
Science Writing Intern (full time)
- Covered the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.
- Wrote press releases, news articles for the faculty/staff newspaper, and news and feature articles for Stanford Medicine magazine.
- Edited news articles for Stanford Medicine.
UC Santa Cruz Public Information Office, Santa Cruz, CA. March 2002-May
Science Writing Intern (part-time)
- Wrote press releases and articles for the faculty/staff newspaper on a wide variety of science topics. Some press releases were adapted for UC Santa Cruz Review, the alumni magazine.
The Californian, Salinas, CA. Jan. 2002-March 2002
News Intern (part-time)
- Wrote articles on local news, both general and science-related. Six of these appeared on page one of the newspaper.
Humanistic Mathematics Network Journal, Claremont, CA. March
Production Manager (part-time)
- Designed layouts and copyedited all material, mostly scholarly articles on mathematics and mathematics education.
Skilled in researching, interviewing, writing, and editing. Proficient in both Windows and Mac environments; Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Knowledge of AP, Chicago, APA, American Chemical Society, and American Economic Association styles.